Skimmed milk has significantly lower fats and vitamins compared to full-fat milk. Skim milk also goes by names like low-fat or non-fat milk powder. It is important to note that skimmed milk is always in powder form and contains less than 5% moisture.
Low-fat or skimmed milk powder is suitable for people with certain health conditions. But since the primary nutrients like vitamins and minerals are the same as full-fat milk, it helps maintain a quality diet.
Most doctors recommend skim milk nowadays. Therefore, it is essential to be knowledgeable about the product. Here is a summarized view of everything related to skim milk.
The Manufacturing Process of Skimmed Milk Powder
Before consuming a product, it is essential to know whether the manufacturing is safe. The process begins by letting the cream separate from the milk. When the cream accumulates to the top layer of the milk, it is skimmed off. Resultantly you get a low-fat fluid ready for the drying process.
Initially, drum drying was the most common way of converting milk to a fine powder. However, over the years, the production process has slightly evolved. After pasteurizing, there are different drying methods available that have their advantages. For instance, some companies still use drum drying, while others opt for spray and freeze drying.
Skim milk falls into different categories based on the drying temperature. The solubility of the product varies accordingly. Therefore, it is vital to know the different types. Highly heated skim milk is almost insoluble in water and is mainly picked for baking. The low-heat skim milk is used for general usage and drinking because it has higher solubility in water.
Considerations When Buying Skim Milk Powder
Buying skim milk powder is not rocket science. However, keeping the below pointers in mind will ensure an effective purchase.
- The first thing to know is that skim milk powder is not precisely a dairy product. Therefore, it is present in the baking section of grocery stores rather than the dairy section.
- The prices vary greatly depending upon the selling store and brand name. Therefore, it is best to sift around for bulk packages to find a suitable price product.
- Buying larger packs is always more pocket-friendly. However, you can compare the per-unit prices of different grocery stores.
What Can You Prepare from Skim Milk?
Skim milk is also great for cooking different dishes, like whole-fat milk. You can try some mentioned below:
- Mac and Cheese: The dish has milk as its main ingredient, and skim milk is a perfect substitute for whole milk as there is little difference in flavor.
- You can use it in puddings and French toast without feeling a significant flavor alteration.
- Oatmeal and cereals also taste great in skim milk.
- Lasagna and pizza sauces with milk ingredients are another good skim milk use.
Moreover, you can prepare a variety of drinks as well. You can make chilled milk by combining 2% of full-fat milk per serving. Hot chocolates are the most likable drink in winter, and skim milk ensures a consistent flavor.
Storing the Skimmed Milk Powder
Like all powdered products, skim milk can also absorb moisture. Therefore, storing it in an airtight bag or a container away from moisture and heat is best.
Skim milk is an excellent consumable for maintaining a good diet. Although it is a preference for specific health conditions, it is not that restricted. Healthy people can also use skim milk in different ways. Skim milk is produced from full-fat milk after separating its cream. Therefore, the quality remains uncompromised, but the fat concentration reduces.
Skim milk is suitable for preparing a variety of dishes and drinks. Moreover, you can carry it on camping trips without spilling. It is essential to store it in an airtight bag to prevent it from absorbing moisture. A pack remains good for about three months. However, it is best to use it within a month.